Monday, November 7, 2011

Conventions Part I


Hello Lovelies!
I’m back! I am SO sorry that I haven’t updated in a while! My workload has been insane in these last few months and I’m just now catching a break. A lot of stuff happened in the month of September and October so I’ve decided to fill you all in! I’ll probably have to do this in several parts but I’ll try to get as much done today as possible!

Let’s start with the beginning of September!
I went to Dragon*Con for the first time ever!! This was one of the most exciting things that I have been to all year! For those that don’t know, D*C is a four day sci-fi and fantasy convention that is held over Labor Day weekend in downtown Atlanta. This is by far the biggest convention that is held in the southeast. I was definitely not prepared for it even though I knew this information. The convention was held about three blocks away from my dorm so we visited the area during the entire weekend. We decided to get a one day badge for Saturday which cost us $50! We will definitely be buying our badges earlier next year to avoid the high cost. I didn’t want to focus on anything specific for this convention because I was mostly interested in taking in all of the amazing aspects. 

My friend Gina stayed with us in our dorm from Friday to Sunday. We never get to see each other so this was very nice! She ran off to do convention stuff while we walked around the area on Friday. At the end of the day, we hung out with several people that frequent the 4chan board /CGL/.  4chan is an image board website where posting is almost all done anonymously. /CGL/ is the website’s Cosplay and Gothic Lolita area. People can be helpful sometimes but most of the time they’re just catty. I was interested to see how the members would be in real life, without the mask of anonymity.  We all ended up taking a nice long walk to Gladys’s and Ron’s Chicken and Waffles for some delicious food. I had a great time and enjoyed everyone’s company!  


On Saturday, we decided to go to the parade that was held on Peachtree Street. Unfortunately, we left our dorm too late to get a spot. Being 4’11”didn’t help anything either. Kim Joon was nice enough to take a few pictures for me since he is tall.
After the parade, we ate lunch and got ready to stand in line to get our badges. We originally thought that the line was going to be about 30 minutes long because of how fast it was moving. We could see most of the line from our living room window but couldn’t see how far back it stretched. Let’s just say that we definitely underestimated the time. I think we stood in line for about three hours or more.  We had a lot of fun goofing off in line and taking pictures. It was very hot that weekend (in the high 90’s!) so we were excited to see an ice cream truck parked next to the long line.
When we finally made it through the line, it was almost 4:30. We spent the rest of the day wandering around the hotels and went to a photoshoot with the Atlanta Lolitas. After taking lots of fun pictures, we stopped for lunch.




Right as we were finishing up, it started to rain! We only made it to two panels later that night and then decided to go to the rave. When we got back to our dorm to change for the rave, we were exhausted and didn’t have the motivation to go back outside. We ended up not going to the rave.  There’s always next year!
Sunday and Monday were very lazy days that consisted of homework and periodically going outside to take in the sights and to meet with people for lunch. We were completely exhausted from all the running around that we did in the previous days! I’m so glad that I was able to go and experience Dragon*Con!

The next weekend was Japan Fest! I was so excited to go this year because Japan Fest usually falls on the same weekend as Anime Weekend Atlanta. Japan Fest is a very small two day convention. This is the first time that I have been in about 5 years! We only went on Saturday but had a great time sampling food. It was nice meeting up with the ATL Lolitas again that weekend. We decided to play a game to get to know everyone a bit better that involved stealing large amounts of toilet paper. For every square that you ripped off, you had to say a fact about yourself.


Two of the boyfriends decided to play this game (including Kim Joon) and of course pulled off about 40 squares. I made Kim Joon cut it down to about 10 to spare everyone. It turned out to be a very fun game and we got to meet several new members of the group! I should mention that the Atlanta Lolitas currently has about 170 members now!

Well that’s all for Part I! Hopefully Part II will be later this week and not in another two months! I have a few projects that I want to complete over Thanksgiving and Winter break with Greg so I'll give you guys some updates about those as well!
Thanks for reading!
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment